Climate change – emerging risk
Climate change increases the occurrence of extreme natural events, significantly impacting Solvay’s sites and supply chain. These impacts could manifest themselves as one or more of the following consequences:
- Inability to operate plants
- Asset damage
- Difficulty supplying customers
- Disruption in the supply of raw materials, energy or utilities.
Prevention and mitigation
This risk has a long-term horizon; nevertheless, Solvay is creating a consistent mitigation plan, the details of which are as follows.
- Build a methodology (type of impacts to be taken into account – major events, permanent changes, environmental, socio-economic impacts – level of impact, location, etc.)
- Consider the following impacts:
- Greater frequency and higher amplitude of natural events such as floods and storms
- Regulatory impact (intake water temperature, return water temperature)
- Sea level rise
- Drought/Hydric stress => update previous study
- Deploy the methodology onto the Industrial footprint and supply chain flows.